Main picture: Clare and Matthew Kinsey who have just taken over the running of the newly renovated Salvation Army hall in Padstow Road.
Following an extensive refurbishment – the Salvation Army hall has re-opened in Knowle West with new faces at the helm.
Lieutenants Matthew and Clare Kinsey have come to run the centre in Padstow Road, after the closure of the Bristol Bedminster Salvation Army building.
The hall was closed to the Knowle West community at the end of 2018 for renovations and re-opened its doors this autumn. See http://www.knowlewest.co.uk/salvation-army-hall-due-to-open-this-autumn/
The groups previously based there have moved to other venues – including the Knowle West Scout Group now located at Filwood Community Centre.
The Kinseys, both 31, have a young family and say they are looking forward to “getting to know the area”.
They are currently planning the services and activities that will be provided from the Salvation Army hall.
Matthew says: “We’re getting to know our new community in South Bristol and understanding the needs of that community so that we are able to understand the types of services we will need to be providing from the hall on Padstow Road.
“For now we’re running Sunday services only as it’s important that we’re not duplicating services or work done by other agencies in the area.
“During this exploratory phase of our officership, we’re establishing what the greatest need is in our community so that we’re able to serve the community in the best way we can.”
In January, there will be a special service at the hall and members will officially adopt the name The Salvation Army Bristol South Corps.
From there, the church and charity will serve South Bristol including the Knowle West and Bedminster areas of the city.
The Salvation Army has owned the hall since 1971 – but the building itself has been serving the community for decades longer – shown on a 1947 map as a ‘mission hall’.
For further information, visit: https://www.salvationarmy.org.uk/bristol-south